Whether you’re looking to spruce up your bedroom and give it a bit of a face lift, you’ve just moved into a new house, or you’re redecorating your room all together, there’s a good chance you’re looking to buy a brand new wardrobe. A sturdy, good quality wardrobe is a really important investment, as it is the second most important piece of furniture you’ll have in your bedroom (after the bed, obviously). You’ll need to choose a wardrobe that suits your needs, including the style and size of your bedroom.
With so many versatile wardrobes available, you’ll find the perfect one to suit your needs, while giving your bedroom a relaxed feel. But there are a few steps you’ll need to take before you get there. From the size of your room to your budget, read our guide on choosing the perfect wardrobe for your bedroom.
Think about the size of your bedroom
The size of your room will dictate the size and style of the wardrobe you choose. If you have a tiny bedroom (we’re talking cupboard under the stairs small), then you won’t have room for a free standing, five door wardrobe. You’ll need to get a smaller wardrobe that fits in the space you’ve allocated. Get your measuring tape out and take some measurements!
Smaller bedroom tip: Consider sliding doors for your wardrobe as they’ll take up much less space when it comes to actually using the wardrobe.
Think about what you actually need to store
If you’re looking at purchasing a brand new wardrobe, think about what actually needs to go in there. Do you own any clothes that need to be hung up on clothing rails? What hinges and fittings do you need? Do you require shelving to put folded clothes on? Would you like drawers within your wardrobe? Do you need full length hanging space? If your needs are going to change over time, you should also think about adjustable shelving.
Choosing a fitted or freestanding wardrobe
There are two types of wardrobe to choose from – a fitted wardrobe that utilises all of the available space in your bedroom, or a freestanding wardrobe that can slot into the allocated space. We’ll go through the pros and cons of each:
Pros – Fitted wardrobe
- Great way to utilise and make the most of awkward space
- Can cater to specific needs
- Design to fit around awkward angles, uneven walls and sloped ceiling
Cons – Fitted wardrobe
- Very expensive
- Time consuming
- Requires an expert to design and fit
Pros – Freestanding wardrobe
- Offers versatility in cost and design
- Can be dismantled and taken with you if you move house
- Can be moved around
Cons – Freestanding wardrobe
- Wasted space if there are awkward angles in the room
- Wasted space if there isn’t sufficient rails and drawers.
- Hazardous if not secured to a wall.
Choose the style of wardrobe
Now that you’ve measured up your space and decided on the type of wardrobe, it’s time to choose the style and colour. Wardrobes come in hundreds of different styles – the main ones are:
- Shaker wardrobes – a wardrobe flat center panel and generally square edges without any profiling.
- Handleless wardrobes – a wardrobe without any handles
- Sliding wardrobes – a wardrobe with a sliding door
- Slab wardrobes – a wardrobe with a solid flat door with no panel or profiling
Once you’ve chosen the style, it is time to decide on the colour – from a relaxed grey to a dark plum or fresh oak, wardrobes come in a plethora of colours and finishes. These finishes are:
- High gloss wardrobes – a super shiny, glossy wardrobe
- Matte wardrobe – a wardrobe with no shine
- Woodgrain wardrobe – a wardrobe that showcases the grain of wood
You can also personalise your wardrobe by adding different wardrobe handles. Check out our range of cupboard door handles here.
Plan for delivery
You need to make sure you can get the wardrobe you want to order, through the doors of your house. Even when they’re in flat pack, wardrobes are often bulky, so make sure you measure doorways and any narrow landings or hallways – this will ensure that you can manoeuvre your wardrobe into your room. If access looks like it might be a problem, you should opt for flat pack.
If you’re looking to do-up your bedroom, why not contact one of our friendly team today and we’ll work with you to turn your dream home design into a reality.